Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Death of the Status Update

I can't wait. It's coming, I promise. Social Media may be here to stay but I can't wait for the death what? Death of the Status Update. I promise it's coming. Don't agree? Whatever...

Ah, behold, the status update. Backstage at a concert and want to brag? To Facebrag you go! Just made an omelette for your girlfriend that would blow your own Mother's mind? Fantastic. Post away! Just don't expect me to care. Don't expect me to care at all.

The problem my friends with the status update is that it is boring. We, by design perhaps, are selfish creatures. We are more interested in what we are doing than say what YOU are doing. The status update has become unexceptional; posted realizations of the mundane if you will.

So what matters in Social Media? Idea sharing for one. Collaboration, well that's two! Creativity --- now you're talking! It seems that the only folks who get this are the millennial. They are leaving Facebook in droves (or not showing up at all) for picture filter apps like Instagram or newer messenger apps like Kik. They are communicating in real time and (literally) leaving the Status Update on the shelf.

I promise you it's coming. And as the Status Update is slowly going the way of the Buffalo. Are you as excited as me?


No comments:

Post a Comment